Subscribe with Bloglines

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Some progress















I seem to have overcome the knitting slump. I bought new yarn at the Knit-In last Saturday and cast on late that night. I haven't had to frog yet although I did have to tink over 173 stitches. Ugh! That's what happens when you don't READ the instructions carefully, which I'm very guilty of doing. At work today, we had a case meeting which can go on for hours. I asked ahead of time if the attorney I work for would mind if I knitted. He did not. Thank you!!! I managed to get several rows completed along with my usual input at the meeting. He told me about a conference he attends regularly where a female attorney always brings her knitting to work on during the sessions. He said if you watch her you'd think she was so absorbed in her knitting that she wouldn't have a clue what was going on. Wrong. He said she will look up and address the leader of the session and always manages to "bust his/her chops" regularly by taking up some issue about a subject and still not miss a stitch!!! You go, girl!!!!

I'm toying with the idea of a container garden. I'm wanting to grow tomatoes (not cherry tomatoes), cucumbers, okra and maybe green beans. Can you grow Kentucky Wonders in a container?? lol I've grown tomatoes before but in a regular garden. It has been many years though since I did. I live in a neighborhood where the lawns are mowed for us, so I don't want to dig up any area or interfere with an area that would impede the mowers. So I'm thinking of containers. I'm pretty much ignorant of many gardening skills. Does anyone have any recommendations about containers, soil and where I can find plants that are raised for this area of the state? Also any websites that might have some great information? I did find today that some green beans are either pole or bush varieties and I'm sure that would be important info in reference to growing in containers.

And for your viewing pleasure: White boots, aren't they adorable?

8 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Kay, the knitting is beautiful!!! What are you making?

I don't know about beans in containers, but I bet Susan B.'s friend, Wayne, would. I'd ask him on his blog. : )

I'm sure looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night...and all the gang! : )

Your Pal,

Shelly

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Wow, that blanket rocks! Woohoo!

Purty kitty :)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I, a novice gardener, grew tomatoes in containers last summer.

I'm sure Wayne has more advice than I do, but be prepared to put them in very big planters! Oh, and there are some that are "bush" variety that don't need as much staking. I also grew one plant called "patio" tomatoes, that was more compact.

They takes lots of water.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blanket! Very nice! And I love kitty boots!

Knitting in meetings - you go girl!

9:50 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

A baby blanket....and I am now tinking my second row of 173 stitches!!! lol

10:22 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Knitting at meetings! That's awesome! I knitted on my Olympics project during one of my classes--I just sat at the back and kept my knitting under the desk!

Oh, a container garden sounds like a great idea. I don't have a good spot for a regular garden, but containers on my deck would get a lot of sun...hmmm, must learn more about this!

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you can grow Kentucky Wonder beans in a container! Just put up a trellis for them to climb. Next year use that same container for tomatoes and rotate your crops.

Just use very good soil with compost. Potting soil you buy is very bland, so mix in a lot of compost and composted manure (can buy 'm in bags).

Key to container gardening is keep it watered but have very good drainage. When it gets very hot out might have to water twice a day. Feel the dirt, don't just water on a schedule.

5:52 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Thank you Susan. I had read about how important drainage was when using containers. I love Kentucky Wonder green beans!! Yippee!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home