Subscribe with Bloglines

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Social Hobby


I saw this book at Gourmet Yarn the other day. The title obviously caught my attention. I know I picked it up but I guess I didn't really pay attention to what was inside. So today I thought I'll look it up on Amazon and see what it says about it. There was one review, I'll not go into what the person said but one thing that did jump out was her comment about knitting becoming a social hobby. That caught my attention. I picked up needles (after 20 years and a less than dismal start) about 2 years ago. I knew pretty quick that I needed some lessons so I'd learn how to do it right this time. That desire led me to take some classes that fueled a spark I'd never felt over a hobby before. That ultimately led me to Gourmet Yarn and to a never ending group of women, many I'm happy to call friends, and the socialization I'd yearned for ever since I moved to the metro area.

When in a conversation with someone I used to say so-n-so told me there is a new store going in at X Y intersection. Now I often have to say....who was it who told me there is a new store going in. Did I lose you? lol Before I knew the small circle of people I'd talked to and now I talk with so many more (from my social hobby) that I have to THINK and remember who told me what! lol That is not a complaint. It amazes me what each individual can bring to the table, be it a cool pattern they found, their humor and wit, some beautiful yarn I'd overlooked, or a sincere desire to learn more. I hope this never ends.

Oh, the only person who hears that line from me is poor Lexi. Bless her little kitty heart.

6 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Well,I'm certainly glad to be part of that never-ending circle. . .knit on, dear!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'm enjoying every minute of it, too! And, also having a difficult time remembering! : )

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was so glad (and surprised) to find a group of kindred spirits via the yarn store. All these new friends (and some old ones) have enriched my life!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE hanging out at Gourmet Yarn. I, too, have met MANY new friends. Life would not be the same without all of you.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you knit :) The sweater is looking great!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine life before meeting all of you! lol Hey, is that my Katie Bird???

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home