Subscribe with Bloglines

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Completion Issues

I was a Bluebird for a year during the 2nd grade. I seem to recall there was a pledge about finishing what I start. Maybe that is why we only had a troup for one year, we couldn't finish what we started?? lol I read knitting blogs almost every day. I've tried to branch out and read some I've never seen before. While on this mission I've noticed most knitting bloggers have COMPLETED ITEM pictures. It made me realize I have INCOMPLETE ITEM pictures. I have the never ending baby blanket, the entrelac bag, socks that might get cast on but never finished, a Christmas stocking for Lexi that might be 2.5 inches long, a knitting bag I've cast on two times and frogged, several unfinished washcloths. Hmmmmmm I think I have so many incomplete items that I can't remember them all. I tried to figure out why I don't finish my projects and the only reasons I can come up with are 1. I get bored with the project and lose interest and 2. I get "startitis" and have to fulfill my need for the adrenalin rush I get starting a new project.

I also realize this problem occurs in other things I do like sewing and reading. I've thrown out so many unfinished items of clothing it isn't even funny. I can honestly say there are fewer books I've started reading that I haven't finished. Does anyone else suffer from this problem??

For your viewing pleasure, I have up close and personal pictures of Norman's Favorite Son in statue, James Garner.

Trivia question: What did his character Maverick always keep pinned on the inside of his coat?

5 Comments:

Blogger kay_okc said...

Becky, thank you for reminding me of the song. That's right! I'm learning and having fun.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

"As my Pappy always said...."

Maverick Brother's Mad Money - On the western adventure MAVERICK/ABC/1957-62 frontier gamblers, Bret (James Garner) and Bart Maverick (Jack Kelly) carried a $1,000 bill pinned inside their coat as they traveled about the Old West in search of an honest game of cards.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a bluebird too! I don't remember the song but I do know I learned to knit as a bluebird.

How many women have bluebirds influenced - "To have fun, to learn to make all sorts of things."

7:34 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I think it's a combination of startitis and boredom with your project.

Starting new means figuring out the pattern, imagining the possiblities, and once your half way through you know what's going on and all you have now is the chore of completing it.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Sanders said...

The only way I've found to keep from casting on 400 socks is I've stopped buying sock needles! Silly, but effective!

I have needles in various lengths in the sizes I commonly knit socks (0, 1, 2) and if there's already a sock in progress on the size I want to use I have to finish it up before I can start whatevers caught my eye.

That limits me so only 4 or 5 simultaneous socks.... now other projects... that's another story.
Happy Knitting and finishing...

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home