Subscribe with Bloglines

Monday, April 24, 2006

WARNING! This is a bitch/soap box post

I just reached a high on the frustration point scale today. My bitch? Why is it so difficult for people (men in particular) to put information on paper?????

I worked with the public for 30 years. For 13 of those years I helped people find jobs. I know filling out forms/applications is a pain in the rear. But how else is an employer going to find out if you are THE ONE for the job?? To me, the epitome of laziness is the person who writes "see resume" on an application. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!! I used to deliver this story in the workshops I conducted. There are some companies (mainly large ones) who are so "by the book" that when they receive applications, they have a person remove everything attached to the application. You know EEO, AA guidelines, make everything fair and equal etc. etc. So if you attached your resume because it would require too much effort to complete their employment application AND you wrote "see resume" on the application, where are you now? You are nothing but a name on a piece of paper, an incomplete piece of paper mind you, and what exactly is it about your name and address that is going to tell the interviewer/manager that you are THE ONE for the job? Your resume was tossed before the application went to the person's desk who reviews and makes decisions. Also an employer knows their application well. If I needed to hire an employee and I had applications that were half completed or had "see resume" on it, I'd turn it over into the reject pile. As an employer I don't have time to read YOUR format to see how you fit into MY format.

With that in mind I now work in a law office and I still have to extract information from people. The type of work we do requires submitting information to the federal government. I don't make up my own rules and regulations. The Feds do that all by themselves and I have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's just like they say OR they deny our applications. Their application requires things such as work history to include complete addresses and the name and phone number of the supervisor you had on that job. When the program had major changes last year, I wrote a questionnaire for our clients. This questionnaire does not have alot of fluff on it. In fact, every single question on there, is required on the Fed application. You'd think that these people know their very livelihood depends on this information and that they'd bend over backwards to supply all the details. Nooooooooooooooooo! Not true. And since I have over 30 years experience dealing with people/the public, I have noticed the majority of the troublesome individuals are men. Why????

Ok, I see I am rambling way too much. Maybe I just needed to vent. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, ummmm.... I feel your pain.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Whew! I feel much better now thank you.
hee hee

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home