Subscribe with Bloglines

Monday, August 07, 2006

Socks, fairies, feet and crayons


Did I get your attention with that subject line? lol It means this is a hodgepodge of subjects in my post tonight. Saturday Terri was talking about Stephanie aka The Yarn Harlot and her recent post on the fairy doors in Ann Arbor. I had to admit it caught my attention and I went to read her post that night to see exactly what she was talking about. They are very whimsical and I can imagine how excited children get when they find one. Then it occurred to me, I keep fairy food in a bowl just in case a fairy comes to visit me. I've had this for over five years now and thought I would post a picture. For some reason

I find it very soothing to pick it up and let it run thru my fingers.

A few weeks ago I was talking to some people about old dishes. I read a book a few years ago and one of the characters had an eggcup collection. It was called Carlton Walkingware. It piqued my curiosity so I looked it up on eBay and sure enough it really exits! I ran across my salt and pepper pots, as they are called in England, a few weeks ago when I was unpacking some boxes. I still haven't located the tea pot. It's hiding in some box somewhere but here is a picture of the salt and pepper pots. And below is


a close up of the feet. I understand these are no longer made and so are collectables. Some have striped socks, some have dots. They come with different colored shoes and socks.












This is the toe up sock I started Saturday in sock class. I love this yarn. It reminds me of a box of crayons. Which brings me to another topic I was discussing with Shelly awhile back. I have a friend who seems to disapprove of my yarn purchases. Her comments are: have you finished with what you were working on the other day? what did you do with the blue you bought when we were there last time? or everytime I come over I find another bag full of yarn. It doesn't sound very supportive huh? lol I've even heard other knitters make similar comments. I have decided this might be the best way to "explain" the need to buy new, more or different yarn when we may have a room full untouched. Do you remember when you were grade school age and you were into coloring? Remember how you'd grow tired of using the sky blue, or the orange-yellow or the salmon crayon? Remember how you'd grab a different crayon say maybe the burnt sienna or the periwinkle or midnight blue and you'd feel invigorated again? Well, that's how I feel about yarn and projects. I get tired of the melon colored yarn with the stockinette stitches and feel the need to work on Bathing Beauty in lace with the sage green yarn. It's a different crayon and it invigorates me. When I grow tired of that one I can always go back to the melon crayon and work towards the end. So if you have someone in your life who makes those disapproving comments to you about your stash, remember you have the right to color with a different crayon color.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I love it!! The analogy of the crayon...it is sooo right on! Variety is the spice of life, isn't that what they say? Doubly applicable to yarn in my opinion! I have been telling my DH that my "stash" is pitifully small compared to most people I know...think I'm preparing him for something..LOL!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I noticed the COLOR of your fairy food. ha I have some too - it is ice blue (front bath).

Your sock looks great. I haven't picked mine up since. I have a wash cloth to finish and then I will sock it to me.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Yay for lots of crayons!!! : )

I love the little pots with feet.

Great job on the sock!

Shelly

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home