Subscribe with Bloglines

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Love of Animals


One of my earliest memories is of living in Cushing in this house that had the entire front and back yard fenced. I remember this small dog who came up to the fence gate in the front yard. She came up to me several times over the course of a few days and I petted and loved on her. I knew not to open the gate, I wasn't allowed to but I did. I wanted a dog so bad I was willing to break the rule and let that dog into my yard. I latched onto that little mutt and I guess my love of her was so great my folks caved. We didn't have alot of money back then and the care and expense of a pet wasn't in the budget. A few weeks passed and my parents realized this dog was pregnant. There was no way they could afford the one dog let alone a whole litter of puppies. So one Sunday after going to Sunday School and church we came home to a yard missing one dog. I cried and cried but the dog was gone. Fast forward about 25 years and some how the topic of that dog came up and my folks told me they had a friend who had a farm. He agreed to come pick up the dog while we were gone and take it out to his farm and give it a home. I felt tricked. Even after 25 years...but then I had a shoe to drop also. That is the same time I told them I knew who that dog belonged to and didn't tell because I wanted the dog. My, my, my...the lengths a 4 year old will go to in order to get a dog! lol I have a feeling that family didn't want her as we lived right down the street. They had to see that she was in our yard...so I don't carry much guilt about that.

When I was 10 I had to walk home from school and cross this one lane wooden bridge. We'd moved to Sapulpa by then. I remember a big bunch of us kids on the bridge when a large Buick or Oldsmobile tried to cross. The car tires had planks to run on and even though it was a one lane bridge we kids had plenty of space on either side to walk. This day there was a puppy on the bridge. It was so cute and I had not quite made it to the puppy when the lady driving the car rolled the window down and asked me to call the puppy to the side so she could pass. I called the puppy but the lady was in a hurry and started driving and ran over the puppy before it could get off the plank. I remember screaming and screaming that she was ON the puppy and she finally just drove off. She didn't stop to see about the dog or me. I was pretty hysterical by the time I made it to the house. My mother called my dad and told him he needed to come home from work and why. He came home and gathered the shovel and a box and walked down to the bridge. The puppy was dead by then and he picked up the puppy and buried it by the creek. Needless to say that was a very traumatic event in my life. One I've never forgotten.

All of this telling of stories to explain that I am a great animal lover. I cannot stand to see an animal neglected, mistreated or abused. I truly believe that you can tell the true character of a person by how they treat animals including those who don't belong to them.





This is Linen. I believe I introduced her on my blog a few weeks ago. She is a service dog. No, she doesn't always wear her little coat that announces that. In fact, I think myself along with many others know Gourmet Yarn is her second home. There aren't many who come into the back sofa section that don't get a very friendly happy greeting from Miss Linen. She does not jump on anyone. She just sniffs and wags her tail. Happy to make new friends. Notice her pretty bow on her collar? She had a beauty appointment earlier today. She was bathed and groomed and feeling very beautiful. If you go someplace where there is a pet like this and you don't want to be bothered, kindly ask the owner to get the dog. Linen doesn't realize there are people out there who don't want a beautiful four legged friend like her. She's just giving her unconditional love.


This little girl usually sniffs me over when I've come home with Linen scent on me. She didn't sniff long today....I think she is used to Linen's scent even if she's never met her. Lexi knows her mama has a lot of love to give to not only her but other cats and dogs she may come in contact with. That's the way the world should be in my opinion. Hope everyone has a great weekend!! Rain is coming and I can't wait!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I have always felt the way you do about our little furry friends! A subject dear to my heart and easy for me to get "on my soap-box" about...even more-so now that I have my little Gidget who was terribly neglected/abused before we brought her home to lavish love upon!! Just can't understand how anyone can be mean to animals, babies or the elderly...makes me hoppin mad!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Yep, I love animals, too. And children!

I don't understand why anyone would want to harm either of them....or how they cannot see how wonderful they are.

By the way, Lexi looks like she is wishing that you would quit following her with that blasted camera! : )

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe anyone would be so cold and self centered as to run over a puppy! It's traumatic just reading about it!

I agree with Carolyn, it really angers me to see a child or animal mistreated.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home