Subscribe with Bloglines

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

It has been a nice quiet weekend around here. But my muscles are screaming like crazy. You see, I did something I NEVER do or at least I haven't done in 16 or 17 years. I did yard work. I weeded my flower beds yesterday. I got up and was outside at 7 AM. (I also don't do the sun or heat very well either lol) So now the muscles in my butt are really sore. The last time I remember being this sore was when I planted azalea bushes many many years ago. The other "casualty" of yesterday's yardwork is my pointer finger on my right hand. There were several stubborn patches of field bermuda in the beds. I didn't realize at the time but I guess I hooked my pointer finger under the soil in an effort to grab under the roots to pull. Yesterday afternoon it was already sore and stiff. Today it is a touch better but it sure does make knitting awkward. lol

I had a lovely Saturday. It started when I went to pick up Terri for Knitty Committee and had to take a stroll through the backyard. Does anyone else remember Hollyhock dolls from their childhood? I am not talking about something you buy in a store but the kind you made from Hollyhock blossoms and toothpicks. This is a very very distant memory but when I was 3 or 4 we had a neighbor lady who lived across the alley from us in Cushing. Her name was Suzanne and she had the most fantastic braid. During the day she'd pin it up in a coronet on the back of her head but if I got over there in the morning hours she'd most often have it dangling down her back over her robe. I digress, we had a bumper crop of Hollyhocks on each side of the alley. And she is the one who taught me how to make Hollyhock dolls. Terri has some beautiful Hollyhocks and every time I see them I talk about Hollyhock dolls.

Terri and I had an early breakfast at Don's and then drove into OKC to Knitty Committee. It was a nice group. I got to visit with Emily and Susan. As you can see Susan had on her Queen of Everything shirt that Bette brought back for her from Vegas. Doesn't she look regal? After Knitty Committee we went to Gourmet Yarn to see if Margaret got the Schaefer yarn in. It wasn't in yet, darn it!! So Terri, Susan and I roamed and sat and visited with David, Liz and Sandy who were untangling a very tangled skein of yarn. Margaret was in Dallas for the weekend and happened to call while we were there. I teased her and let her know we'd emptied her office and rearranged the front of the store while she was gone. (David put me up to that lol) I wished you could have heard her response. I think for a few seconds she believed me. lol

You know how I'm always talking about how you buy some yarn that just ends up being fondling yarn? Well, over a year ago (my first visit) I was in The Woolie Ewe. I found some yarn in the sale corner that I fell in love with. I had eyed this pattern in my How to Knit book by Debbie Bliss that I wanted to knit. It's pillow covers. I found this gorgeous sage green tweed (Classic Elite) yarn. It was in the original bag. Not understanding how their sale corner worked, I noticed there was a red sticker and guessed that was the sale price per skein. So I took the yarn to the counter only to find out the final price was HALF the red sticker price. Hey! That's my kinda sale!! So I bought enough to make two pillow covers. I started knitting on it that very evening. But you've never seen a pillow cover knitted by me, have you? lol It's one of my many WIP's that I haven't touched in awhile. But I love that yarn and when I bought it I didn't have my own swift and ball winder. So I decided I needed to find a way to enjoy it's beauty as it was. And this is where it has been displayed at the old apartment and now in my Norman place.

8 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Yarn as display, I love it.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How DO you keep Miss Lexi from thinking this is a bed, not a display?

I love the idea of hollyhock dolls.

1:55 PM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Rebecca...even when it was on the coffee table she never bothered it except to sniff it out once. Lexi is a pretty good kitty, if I do say so myself. :-)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I would be up for a road trip to Woolie Ewe later in the Summer or Fall.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I love the yarn! It wouldn't last 2 minutes without having a cat in the middle of it at my house. : )

I've never heard of Hollyhock dolls. I would love to see how you make them.

Susan does indeed look like the queen of everything. She looks very happy in this picture. : ) It's good to see her looking good!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hollyhock dolls! Now that brings back memories. When I was growning up, we made hollyhock dolls all the time. It was such fun. I remember playing for hours with them. Thanks for the memories!

9:15 PM  
Blogger KatyaR said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who had a sore butt from gardening this weekend! I had to rest today because I could hardly walk last night.

I've never heard of hollyhock dolls. Can you explain that to us?

9:43 PM  
Blogger Granny J said...

I had never heard of hollyhock dolls until I did a little research for my current blog about the nearly wild hollyhocks that grow in downtown Prescott up in the Arizona mountains. Sounds like something my little granddaughter would love!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home